- About Us
MCN 2012 | Events
WELCOME RECEPTION - IGNITE MCN
Wednesday, November 7
325 5th Avenue North Seattle, WA 98109
6:30 pm - 9 pm
7-8 pm Ignite MCN
Kick off the jam-packed, exciting conference program with Ignite MCN at the EMP Museum!
Ignite MCN will kick off MCN's 40th anniversary in grand style with a series of rapid-fire, five-minute talks from some of the most provocative thinkers in the museum field. The talks will follow the "Ignite" format, in which presenters have five minutes and 20 slides (which advance automatically every 15 seconds) to enlighten, entertain, and inspire.
This event, the first of its kind at a museum conference, will feature nine speakers, sharing their experiences in a wide variety of disciplines. This year's line-up features:
- Robert Stein, Deputy Director, Dallas Museum of Art: Art/Science: The Epic Battle Between Art and Science Museums
- Lori Byrd Phillips, US Cultural Partnerships Coordinator, Wikimedia Foundation: Embracing the Bazaar
- Jasen Emmons, Director of Curatorial Affairs, EMP Museum: The Power of Story
- Suse Cairns, PhD Candidate, University of Newcastle: The Moment of Change
- Michael P. Edson, Director, Web & New Media Strategy, Smithsonian Institution: Software is the Mother Tongue
- Richard McCoy, Conservator of Objects & Variable Art, The Indianapolis Museum of Art: Making New Connections to Collections Care
- Anne Goodyear, Associate Curator of Prints and Drawings, Smithsonian, National Portrait Gallery: The Reinvention of the Work of Art
- Rosanna Flouty, Director of Education, Art21: Towards… a More Expansive Definition of Education In Museums
- Koven J. Smith, Director of Technology, Denver Art Museum, Realizing the Adjacent Impossible
photo by Baileythompson
40TH ANNIVERSARY PARTY
Thursday November 8
After the first day of the formal program, come wish the MCN conference a happy birthday - it's 40 years old! The Board of Directors will update you on what they've been up to. Have a drink, say hello to your friends, make new ones and see the latest in software innovations and offerings from our Museum vendor community.
SPECIAL INTEREST GROUPS LUNCHEON - A Byte of Lunch
Friday November 9
Calling all Special Interest Groups (known as SIGs) members to join us for A Byte of Lunch!
All SIG members and the newly curious--are welcome to our second annual luncheon. Each SIG will have a table for free-flowing discussion, and table-hopping will enable you to join the conversation with more than one just one SIG. Topics covered by the SIGs are digital media, information technology, intellectual property, and DAMS, just to name a few. There are also Regional SIGs for California, the Pacific Northwest, and the Northeast. The Special Interest Groups (SIGs) play a vital role in extending communications and idea-sharing throughout the year.
Come join us and give comments, suggestions or ask for advice... and have some fun with your colleagues!
Registration and payment of $15 can be made on-site at the conference registration desk. MCN is underwriting 40% of the cost to give you a lower expense. This should be a fun event, so don't miss it!
CONFERENCE RECEPTION & SILENT AUCTION
Friday, November 9
Seattle Public Library
1000 Fourth Avenue, a block from the Conference Hotel
7 - 9 pm
Our final conference reception will feature our Annual Silent Auction that supports the MCN Scholarship program. The Seattle Central Library opened its doors in 2004. Designed by architects Rem Koolhaas and Joshua Ramus it features an open, sustainable design with engaging community spaces and fun interiors.